Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ask Dr. Suni

My son is ten years old and he still wets the bed at night. I’ve taken him for checkups but the doctors don’t find anything wrong medically. They say he’ll grow out of it. I really wish I could help him because it bothers him a lot. I’ve tried everything my family, my friends, and the doctor advised, like holding liquids from him before bedtime, waking him up to go to the bathroom, setting an alarm clock so he can wake himself up. Nothing works. He even sleeps through the alarm. I’m hoping with the kind of work you do, you can suggest something that might help. Carol

Dear Carol,
I certainly empathize with your son. It can be very embarrassing for a child his age. Since he doesn’t have a urinary infection (I imagine he was tested for infection) and his kidneys and bladder are free from disease, then he just might have an underdeveloped sphincter muscle—popularly known as a weak bladder in my generation—that will strengthen as he gets older. But this may not be the case. Many children are just deep sleepers and banging a drum over their head wouldn’t wake them up.
 
I suggest you try hypnotic suggestions while your son is sleeping. Every night after he falls asleep, sit on his bed and speak to him in a whisper. Some positive suggestions you might give are:                        

you are happy and healthy                                                             
you feel very self-confident about yourself                                        
you have pleasant, enjoyable dreams each night                                  
you enjoy waking up to go to the bathroom to urinate                  
you want to wake up and go to the bathroom                                          
you are happy when you wake up to use the bathroom                         
you feel more and more self-confident every day                                  
I (we) love you very, very much
 
You can add any other positive suggestion you like. After a few times of doing this, you may be surprised at the effect.

Please let me know how your son is doing.
Wishing you love, light and harmony

Send questions to: advice@temple-of-healing.org.