Monday, April 26, 2010

Nature's Antibiotics


According to Reikinurse.com, "While antibiotics are appropriate and effective cures they are outrageously overprescribed. This is unnecessary since there are natural alternatives to treat most conditions. Many types of bacteria have become antibiotic-resistant due to the overprescription.

Antibiotics are only effective against bacteria. They are completely useless against viruses, fungi, worms and parasites. Using these drugs can also cause an overgrowth of candida, yeast, and fungi. Frequent use can even depress your immune system, stimulate allergies, and damage organs such as the liver and kidneys."

Nature provides its own antibiotics in the form of garlic (good for more than chasing away vampires), tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract, and honey, to name a few. It is important to understand that most honey sold on the US market today is made from hybrid bees and is not as effective as honey found elsewhere in the world.

Raw garlic is similar in function to penicillin and was used in World War I to treat open wounds. I have used these natural antibiotics with much success. Many times, illness is a sign that the body is overworked and needs to rest. I have found that it is at times when I push myself too hard, when I get sick. So the rest factor, in addition to these natural remedies creates a major recharge in the body's energy system, and I come out of the cocoon feeling brand new. I don't get sick often because I respect balance, and have learned to trust my body when it tells me to 'slow down.' But I am in awe of nature and how it provides for our every need...with no side effects. (except for bad breath, so cut that garlic up and swallow it, don't try to chew it!)