Monday, May 31, 2010

Heroes of War


By Heather McCauley

Memorial Day was originally established in the United States to commemorate soldiers who died during the civil war. Originally dubbed “Decoration Day”, loved ones would honor their war-time heroes by decorating soldiers’ graves. It wasn’t until the 1860’s that Memorial Day evolved to commemorate all soldiers who died while in service to their country. It is known that the first celebratory picnic began in Charleston, South Carolina in honor of the Freedmen (freed slaves) who died in the Civil War. When I reflect on these heroes, past and present day, words can’t help but come to my mind: patriotism, honor, sacrifice, dedication, duty, freedom, liberty and life.

As I reflect on the conviction that these brave men and women exhibit, I am reminded of a powerful song entitled, “Prayer to St. Peter” by Edwin McCain. The words: “Let them in, Peter, for they are very tired… Let them wake whole again to brand new dawns, fired by the sun, not war-time's bloody guns. May their peace be deep… God knows how young they were to have to die.” A beautiful sentiment and a song that inevitably moves me to tears. Although I would prefer there were never another war, that peace and love filled each and every heart of the world, the truth is that we are not there – yet. I am unwilling to dishonor my brothers, sisters, fathers, grandfathers and other fellow humans – so I reflect, meditate and pray that one day such sacrifices will be unnecessary.

Without detracting from the spirit of the day, I believe Memorial Day can also be a time to honor the everyday hero in each of us and the sacrifices we make, either large or small, for our country, our family, our spiritual development or another just cause. On this Memorial Day, engage in the spirit of the day but remember to honor what makes each of us a hero as well.