Thursday, May 27, 2010

We Are All Connected – Food for Thought


By Heather McCauley

I sometimes think of life as a mirror, showing us things in others that we are unable or unwilling to see in ourselves. If we make judgments and critical observations about others, we are destined to make similar future connections. Does it ever seem that the same type of people keep showing up in your life even though you go to great lengths to avoid them? Did you ever consider that the Universe is trying to show you something about yourself? It could be a similar personality trait or our own intolerances or antiquated way of thinking or relating. I believe that we have the choice to face these reflections of ourselves – to learn and evolve. Or, we can avoid them until the next time they show up.

As I sit quietly with my thoughts (meditate, pray, whatever you call it), one of the things I try to focus on is stepping out of my own ego. I try to see the truth in people and situations despite how it relates to my own personal interests. I strive to put aside my judgments and remind myself that we are all connected. We are all the children of our Creator and are perfect exactly as we are. It is difficult not to make critical observations of others, but it is human nature. We do it without thinking or realizing – even though we may not always voice our opinions. Until we are able to appreciate the perfection in every living creature, we will always feel flawed in some way. Once we realize that there are no flaws, only differences, we will know the truth about ourselves – we are beautiful, we are perfect and we are all connected to one another.