Monday, June 28, 2010

A Spiritual Model for Global Peace


By Heather McCauley

It is the year 2010 and, like most fads of yesteryear, peace is once again in style. Revived from the 60’s era of Woodstock and free love, peace has made a comeback in a big way. I type these words with tongue in cheek - knowing that, at least for my generation, peace is more than a symbol on a t-shirt. Although I am a child of the 70’s, I know that I am not alone in my desire for global peace. In recent years, more religious and world leaders have taken up the peace flag, struggling to wave the banner during our chaotic and catastrophic time. Whether you are a leader in your community or not, it is certain that everyone - no matter your religion, race, creed or social standing – can effectively promote global peace. We simply need to start by shifting our own consciousness.

Neale Donald Walsh writes, “The only peace in all the world that is sustaining is Internal Peace” (Conversations with God, Book 2). This is undeniably true – how can we expect the world to project something which we, ourselves, have not experienced? Walsh further states that “this one simple change…could…end all wars, eliminate conflict, prevent injustice and bring the world to everlasting peace.” But, most of us would ask, how do we obtain and maintain inner peace? Simply stated: “Need nothing. Desire everything. Choose what shows up” (Walsh).

Several years ago, a friend gave me a small print-out of the symptoms of inner peace. Through the dozen years and multiple relocations, this tiny list has always found its way to the forefront of my daily life; in the workplace at my desk, at home on my refrigerator or taped to my dresser, as a bookmark. I’ve often thought about retyping the list or replicating it in some way but I feel that it might somehow lose its potency – or I may forget how far I’ve come in achieving those ‘symptoms’ on that list without referencing the wear and tear it has endured. Unlike the symptoms of a disease, the symptoms of inner peace are something to strive for. Also unlike a disease, inner peace is the end result and not the defining factor. In order to achieve inner peace, I would recommend plenty of meditation and reading these symptoms several times a day. I am reprinting them here for the first time since I received them.

The Symptoms of Inner Peace – Author Unknown (but still very much appreciated)

1. A tendency to think and act deliberately, rather than from fears based on past experiences
2. An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment
3. A loss of interest in judging others
4. A loss of interest in judging self
5. A loss of interest in conflict
6. A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others
7. A loss of ability to worry
8. Frequent, overwhelming episodes of appreciation
9. Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature
10. Frequent attacks of smiling through the heart
11. Increasing susceptibility to kindness offered, and the uncontrollable urge to reciprocate
12. An increasing tendency to allow things to unfold, rather than resisting and manipulating


“When you find Inner Peace, neither the presence nor the absence of any person, place or thing, condition, circumstance, or situation can be the Creator of your state of mind or the cause of your experience of being” (Walsh). In truth, no one can have control over our state of mind or our attitude – these are only our choosing. Will you choose to be at peace with your circumstances, especially if it means you have done a large part in contributing to Global Peace? I hope so...