Monday, February 15, 2010

Green Tea…the Perfect Cup of Goodness


By Heather McCauley


Archeological evidence shows that the ritual of steeping leaves to produce the hot concoction we know as tea has been around for nearly 500,000 years. The tradition of drinking tea originally started in China and India, eventually spreading throughout Asia, Europe and the rest of the continents. Today, tea is considered one of the most popular beverages in the world, second only to water. While each geographical region may have a preference, the type of tea gaining the most worldwide popularity is green tea, probably due to the emerging research proving its multiple health benefits.


Green tea, produced from the leaves of camellia sinensis, retains many of its health benefits due to the minimal processing it undergoes compared to other teas. Containing caffeine, amino acids, anti-oxidants (polyphenols) and flavonoids, green tea is a powerhouse of health. The anti-oxidants fight cancer-causing free radicals, which also helps to slow the body’s aging process. Current research indicates there are many other health benefits of green tea. It reduces cholesterol, increases metabolism and weight loss, increases immune functions, prevents cardiovascular disease, promotes mental clarity, regulates blood sugar levels, helps rheumatoid arthritis and prevents tooth decay and bad breath by reducing oral bacteria. If a cup of tea is able to do all of that, I was willing to try it!


I have never been much of a tea drinker – I preferred strong coffee with lots of (real) cream and sugar. Making a great cup of tea required a lot of practice. Trying to find the perfect balance between pleasing my palate and reaping the health benefits wasn’t easy, but I persevered. I discovered that there is a reason you don’t allow your tea to steep too long; the taste becomes bitter. For me, the perfect cup of green tea involves a tea bag, a whistling tea kettle, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of honey. I halt the steeping at the two minute mark and allow it to cool another two minutes. After increasing my intake of tea to 3-4 cups a day, I tried drinking my old cup of coffee one morning – just the way I liked it. I was shocked to find that it was too sweet for me to finish. I feel wonderful knowing that I replaced a potentially harmful habit with a potentially life-prolonging one. If you’ll excuse me, I think I hear my kettle whistling again…